Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Culinary Adventures


This Winter I have been channeling my Domestic Goddess, Sewing and cooking up a storm. What better thing to do on a rainy day (which we've had a lot of this past month in the Bay area)?!

Culinary adventure #1:
Homemade Sausages

For Christmas I got myself a beautiful, brand new lemony yellow Kitchinaid Mixer with meat grinder and sausage attachment. To celebrate, my good friend Colin and I made Loukanika (Greek citrus sausage). The process took all day, lots of elbow grease, and once we sat down to feast I didn't feel like eating any of it! But everyone else seemed to like them!



Culinary adventure #2:
Fituras de Malanga (Malanga Fritters)

Malanga is a starchy root vegetable that is very popular in Cuba. Similar to taro root, it's flavor is earthy and a bit nutty.

Malanga Fritters are very easy to make. Grate peeled and washed Malanga on cheese grater, add egg, salt, and "deep" fry in a cast-iron skillet till golden brown. Can be eaten with honey or just on their own with salt. Mmmm! I ate like 15!
There's nothing better than getting together with friends and eating great food.

1 comment: